I'm sure most of us have heard the ever so popular phrase
"there's an app for that"
Well, the next "great" thing you will be hearing within years to come is "there's a code for that!"
"What does she mean?" you're probably thinking to yourself...
Read on for more information of some crazy things that are about to change in the health care/insurance world that will change things drastically...
Currently, there are approximately 18,000 different codes that's doctors have to use to categorize medical issues to send over to insurance companies to see if they will be approved or not for coverage.
Code. noun: a system used for brevity or secrecy of communication, in which arbitrarily chosen words, letters, or symbols are assigned definite meanings.
What are they? Health/Insurance codes are specific numbers that insurance companies use to categorize every little specific thing that doctors charge them for...
For example: If you break a bone, have your tonsils out, get an x-ray, flu shot, or need stitches.
As mot of us know, getting insurance companies to approve your test/procedure/medicine/etc... can be quite difficult right now. Unfortunately, things are about to get even worse :/
------------------
Within the next two years, the codes are going to increase from 18,000 to over 140,000 different codes
Instead of having a code for just a broken bone, there is going to be a code for ever specific bone in the body and how you broke it and where you were at! If you have to have surgery to repair an artery, it goes as far as to ask "which artery" needs to be repaired and "approved" to be compensated by the insurance companies.
These codes are so specific, and might I say RIDICULOUS that they even have codes for things such as...
I. being burned to do water skis starting on fire
II. being struck by a turtle (seriously?!)
and
III. bitten by a turtle
I wish I was kidding...
These codes will be officially put into place starting October 1st. 2013 according to the Wall Street Journal Article found here
While some may feel this may not be such a bad thing to be "more specific", this allows insurance companies to control our health care even more and make it even MORE difficult to get the testing and procedures on may need, let alone a diagnosis!
I don't know about you all, but just as the future holds great opportunities for medical research advancement, it also looks more and more grim for individuals with pre-existing conditions and poor health :/
![]() |
| ♥photo credit |
Just have to trust that in the end, it will work out for everyone <3
xoxo
-erinj0

6 comments:
just wanted to leave a little comment on this post too because I found it so interesting to read - it is crazy some of the ridiculous ideas these people come up with. surely this is just going to make things a million times harder for everyone! help should be readily and easily given to those who need it.
<3 Holz oxo
http://beautifulsimplicity-holziepink.blogspot.com/
This is really helpful Erin, thanks so much for sharing this information, I didn't know! I knew one day when I was at the docs they were lookign for a code for "Dysautonomia" (I think? or maybe it was a medical dictionary? I have no idea lol), and of course they couldn't find it. There is no better time for us invisibly ill to pull together. <3.
Wow. Thank you for sharing - that's actually really kind of scary. As someone who is generally healthy (but when I get sick, I get SICK) that actually really scares me. I'm also probably going to have kids within some of the time they start doing that - what happens if I can't help them BECAUSE of that? So, so scary. No better time to get educated and get protesting.
Thanks so much for your sweet comment,hope you had a fabulous weekend too. I love coming across blogs like yours,as its so different,really interesting to read,really makes you think also kinda scary toox
You have a new follower <3
billiejean44.blogspot.com
Thanks so much for commenting back x
I know its crazy right,such a luxury to finally be sleeping in a bed :D Its quite funny actually :D
Hope you have a wonderful day,look forward to your next post x
Wow I had NO idea that this went on! A code for being bit by a turtle? Think there's one for being bored to death at work? Sigh.. Sorry I've been MIA. It's been a horrible summer and things are just starting to look up again! I have missed you! Thank you for still sticking around even though I've been a horrible blogger / friend. It's been great catching up on your life though. Talk soon! xx
myheartstumbles.blogspot.com
Post a Comment